Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Be more active!

"Lose weight" is such an over-used phrase that it feels like it has lost it's meaning. America is the most obese country in the world--or at least it looks like it sometimes. The point is, everyone wants to lose weight, but not everyone follows through.

However, I don't need to lose weight, I just don't want to be the one panting when I go on a run with my dog. According to AARP's online BMI calculator, my BMI is 21.2 and completely within the normal healthy range. (Note: Don't take the results of this online test too seriously.) However, my workout-a-holic sister who regularly treadmills 4-5 miles at a time would argue that I am unhealthy even though I am slim.

I'll agree.

Case in point: 2006-2009 saw a lot of what I'll call "Sedentary Liz." Best case scenario: My ideal day would consist of morning yoga and afternoon kayaking with perhaps an evening bike ride thrown in there for good measure. (Obviously, in the best-case scenario I'd also be a millionaire with no need to hold a job.) Revised best case scenario: I'd love for yoga, kayaking and riding a bike to be a part of my normal routine.

Being "more active" means that I have to get off my butt and get out into the world. Exercise is not the activity, merely the by-product of whatever fun thing I'm doing. (I'd also like to "tighten it up.") Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment